Instead of relying on a cash advance or a payday loan to pay the utility bills, there are ways to reduce your bill. Throughout the year, the costs may vary depending on the area you live in. Electricity bills will be high in during the summer months for those who live in the south, whereas residents of the north may see the increase during the winter months. Frugality begins with an initial plan to cut costs and continued to prevent additional future costs. Seasonal changes often impact the range of costs. Try one of these money saving strategies to help lower the average cost year round:
- Always read through your bills. You may find small charges for services you do not even use. Call your provider and cancel any service you do not use or can do without. Small amounts add up quick. Not only will you be saving those costs, but the tax on the amount as well.
- Evaluate your cable bill. Do you even watch the high priced channels? Lower your plan to the basic cable plan in order to lower your bill.
- Recycle. In some states, you can get cash back for bottle and cans. Recycling goods will save on trash bags as well as costs for excessive trash disposal.
- Insulate your doors and windows. Keeping curtains closed during summer days will help prevent the home from heating up. Insulation during the winter will keep the warmth inside. There are many cost effective window fashions which will help with utility costs. If you make a small initial investment in window coverings you will see long lasting results.
- During hot months, use smaller appliances to cook with. Use a slow cooker, microwave, electric skillet or toaster oven to make you meals. These will not heat up the kitchen as a stove and oven will.
- Use a draft stopper on your doors during the winter months to keep the warm air inside your home.
- Add layers of clothing and/or use blankets instead of turning up the heat when you get a chill.
- Keep your freezer full to maximize efficiency. Even if you do not have it filed with food products, you can fill empty milk jugs with water to take up the empty space.
- You don’t have to take cold showers to lower your electric bill, but you can limit the time spent there. Shut water off while brushing teeth or shaving and fill the sink to do the dishes rather than keeping the water running.
- Run the washing machine and dishwasher when the loads are full. Upgrade machines to low energy efficiency models. For those of you who qualify, there are programs to help households become more energy efficient.
- Leaky faucets and running toilets may sound annoying, but they also throw money away every day they are left that way. As soon as there is a problem, have it fixed. There are many self-help plumbing books or do-it-yourself guides online to help prevent plumbing expenses.
Your monthly costs do not have to include cash advance fees when you are smart about utility demands.
You don’t have to depend on a cash advance or a payday loan when the utility bills run high. Cut back on monthly costs and put the extra aside for those costs which cannot be avoided. No one says you need to be uncomfortable in your own home when the extreme weather affects overall costs, but you can help with average costs. Living frugal does not mean going without, just going about life smarter.